Log in

I think I have a problem... - nick™ [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]

[ website | www.iamnick.com ]
[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

I think I have a problem... [Jul. 15th, 2007|11:59 am]
[Current Mood |goodgood]
[Current Music |The Clock - Thom Yorke]

So... after I was discharged from the hospital about a week ago, I was having to goto the walk-in centre daily to get it redressed. This was pretty standard for the first two days, then I went in on the third day. The nurse cleaned the hole in my foot out (oh yeah, i have a pinky sized hole in the bottom of my foot after the surgery.) and then she packed it with this ribbon gauze that helps the would heal. She put a extra big bandage on it this time and said "If it doesn't bleed through, you don't need to come in till saturday... take a day off." I was happy to here this as getting to the walk in centre is a slightly annoying task to do daily. I thanked the nurse and head out side to wait for my ride. I found a discarded wheel chair to sit in and I sat down. I raised my foot to rest it on my knee and out of the hole in the side of my shoe pours a massive amount of blood down my leg. Shocked I looked down and noticed the puddle of blood the had formed around my foot and i stumbled and frantically asked a guy to get a nurse. They told me to come back so I started to crutch my way back through the waiting room spurting blood with every step. Long story short... I bleed about 2 or 3 pints out of blood from an arterial bleed from the bottom of my foot. I completely covered the walk-in centre with blood. The walk-in centre is the place you go when you have a funny rash or cough. They never see trauma amount of blood in there and didn't know how to deal with me at all. I like to keep people in their toes, ya know.

But yea, so they found a bed that they could rush me over to the emergency room on... they put me on oxygen and an drip... they even tried to cut my shirt off of me, but I was too awake to let that happen and I took it off myself. I was hooked up to all the fancy machines. It was weird. After a while they told me i was good to go, thinking my artery had clotted itself and all... so I started to leave and sure enough I started spurting again... So I got stuck back into the hospital and then they annoyingly kept me in there for 3 more days. Mainly cause that hospital fucking sucks. I've never seen the same doctor twice... so they never know what's going on with me and i just keep getting pushed back and it just annoyed me. So as protest this time around, i refused to wash myself lol. Just so I was extra smelly for the nurses.

Anyways, I'm out now. Hopefully my foot will finally heal now. I swear ever since the car accident that almost killed me, I've just had the worst medical luck ever. I've stabbed myself in the thigh with a scalpel, stepped on the glass, got that infected and had surgery on it and now I've had an arterial bleed from it and lost a fuck load of blood. I've been kept out of work for over a month now. And cause of some homefront drama, we have to move out of this house by the end of the month. So, I'll be couch surfing for the next two months... I've just gotta hold on and it'll all start going right soon. Hopefully.

Thanks everyone who sent me messages while I was in hospital. And screw the rest of you.

Love you guys,


[User Picture]From: tellnickno
2007-07-15 10:12 pm (UTC)

Re: The bigger picture...

I did have a slight problem with the amount (lack) of Doctor to Patient attention there was during my actual stay in hospital. But I know this could happen at any shitty hospital... If I made the effort to bleed out in a posher area of london, things could have been different. But I must say... If I were in america I'd be in a fuck load of debt or headaches with insurance bylaws. I only had to give my name and date of birth when I came in and I only had to sign a few consent forms for my surgery. So, it might have been a little more frustrating, but overall probably much less of a pain. If you had to chose where to get sick, even if you had ace insurance. I'd probably choose over here.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: asteriskk
2007-07-16 02:19 am (UTC)

Re: The bigger picture...

I completely agree... when Clint was stuck at Holy Cross here in America for those 5 days last year, not only did he get hardly any doctor/patient attention (they didn't even tell him what type of diabetes he has- and we still don't know) it ended up costing him $10,000. That's $2k a fucking day! And two of those days were over the weekend and the doctor that was supposed to see him before he could check out doesn't work on weekends.

I'd much rather get sick in some other country.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)